How old must I be to attend camp?
Southern District 4-H Horse Camp is open to boys and girls who are 9 years of age (or have completed the 3rd grade) through 21 years of age.
I am not a West Virginia 4-H member, can I come to camp?
Registered West Virginia 4-H members have first choice.  If space is available after the final registration deadline, then the horse camp will be open to non-members (the general public).  This camp typically has space for non-members.  Non-members are encouraged to register early (prior to registration deadline), your application will be held until the final deadline, and the member will be added to our waiting list.  Space will be awarded to non-members on a first-come first-served basis.
Am I required to bring a horse?
All campers are required to bring a horse to camp.  Campers are responsible for the transportation of their horse to and from camp.
Who takes care of my horse while I’m at camp?
All campers are responsible for caring for their horse.  Horses are to be feed and watered at least twice a day.  Campers are to keep the horse stall clean.  Campers are expected to be able to know how to bridle and saddle their horse.  It is expected that they can fully take responsibility for the horse.  Staff are there to assist campers if necessary.
What is the cost for Southern District 4-H Horse Camp?
Please see the camper application for specific detail regarding the cost of camp.  The camper registration fee covers the cost for all meals, lodging, insurance and other miscellaneous expenses related to camp activities.  Campers are required to pay a stall fee that is refundable at the end of the week (see below). 

In addition to the camper registration fee, campers may purchase a camp picture, camp shirt and crafts.  Campers may also wish to put money in our camp bank to buy items from our camp store through out the week.  All costs associated with the horse is the responsibility of the camper.
Is the stall fee refundable?
All campers are required to clean and strip their horse stalls prior to leaving camp.  Your camp fee includes a refundable stall fee (see registration packet for details).  All horse stalls are inspected and those stalls that are properly cleaned, the camper will be refunded the stall fee.
Must I wear a helmet?
All campers are required to wear a helmet with a safety harnesses while riding their horse.
Is a coggins test required?
Campers are required to show a valid Coggins test report at the main gate to enter Horse Camp.  NO COGGINS/NO CAMP.  Coggins tests results are good for 12 months.
It takes approximately 2-4 weeks, depending on your veterinarian to get the results from the state laboratory in West Virginia.  
What is the daily schedule at horse camp?
Campers wake up early to feed and check on their horses.  Following breakfast, campers spend the morning participating in 3 classes (riding, showmanship, and a mini clinic).  In the afternoon, campers participate in recreation, swimming, crafts, and a 4-H traditions class.  Following dinner, campers have horse-contact time, which is time for them to ride and groom their horses.  Instructors are available to during this time for additional instruction.  An evening trail ride is offered to our experienced riders throughout the week.  A beginner trail ride is schedule one night for our beginners and inexperience trail riders.  Each evening we have 4-H council circle program (campfire), where campers sing songs, perform skits, and share stories.  In addition to these daily activities we have many other special activities through out the week including a Fun Show, Talent Show, and our Horse Show. 
What riding classes (disciplines) do we offer?
Beginners (All Disciplines)
Contest (Pole and Barrels)
Racking & Pacing
Trail (no first-year campers or beginners)
Can first-year campers or beginner riders take the trail class?
No – first year campers and beginner riders are not allowed to take the trail class.  During the week of camp, we will allow beginners and first-year campers to participate in one of our evening trail rides.
I would like to change classes?
Campers may change their camp class.  Campers are to contact the extension office to request that change.
No beginner riders or first year campers may take the trail class. 
The Western, Huntseat, and Contest classes are typically the largest classes.  Saddleseat and Racking & Pacing are the smallest classes.  Campers in those disciplines may want to stay in the smaller classes rather than moving to the larger discipline classes.
My camp packet says I’m in the beginner class, but I’m not a beginner rider?
All first-year campers will be assigned to the beginner class until they have completed the riding skills evaluation on the first day of camp.  Those campers demonstrating advanced riding skills will be placed in their selected class discipline.
 What is the first year camper rider evaluation?
 All first year campers are expected to arrive on the first day of camp before dinner and to participate in the first year camper rider evaluation.  This is an opportunity for our instructors to meet the first year camper and assess their riding skills.  All first year campers will be assigned to the beginner class and if they demonstrate advance skills during the rider evaluation will be moved into their discipline class.
 What is a mini-clinic?
A mini-clinic is a 1-day seminar and/or hands-on classes.  Each day a new topic related to horsemanship will be presented.  Examples include: Veterinarian, Horse Dentistry, Show grooming, food nutrition, trailering and stalling horses, horse judging, etc.
What is the 4-H traditions class?
Each day, campers will learn about our 4-H traditions including a history of our 4 H program, learn to sing new songs, and learn folk dancing.
What is the annual horse show?
On last day of camp (Saturday) all campers are welcome to participate in the annual camp horse show.  The horse show starts promptly at 9:30 a.m. 
 What is the Fun Show?
The fun show has a variety of classes to participate in, including the ribbon race, egg and spoon race, catalog race, watermelon eating race, and for those who creative we have a costume class.
What do I need to bring to Horse Camp?
See Camp Packet in the registration packet for the list of items to bring to camp.
What type of clothes will I need for camp?
Horse Camp is informal and casual clothes are the rule.  We recommend that campers wear long pants for riding horses, especially on trail rides.  When working with horses or in the barn area, campers must wear closed-toed boots or shoes with heels.  Campers are expected to dress decently at all times.
My camp letters tells me to arrange to share barn tools with my stall mates?
Due to the limited amount of space, it is recommend that campers share large items such as shovels, wheel barrows, rakes, pitch forks, etc. with other campers when possible. 
You can arrange to share these tools with your tact stall mates and/or other campers from your county or club who are attending camp.  We make every attempt to put you with the stall mates listed on your camp application.  Stall assignments are made just prior to and subject to change before camp. 
I’m coming with a friend, should be pack together?
Campers should not pack their personal belongings together.  Cabin assignments are made based on camper age and availability in the cabins.
Campers should not pack their personal tact together, as we can not guarantee who you will be sharing a tact stall with.  We do recommend when possible that campers arrange to share large items such as wheel barrows, rakes, pitch forks, etc.
When must I arrive at camp? 
Campers are expected to arrive on first day of camp.  Registration is from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  Campers will not be permitted to register or unload horses on the first day of camp before 1:00 p.m.  If campers are not able to bring their horse during this time, they need to arrange a specific time with the camp agent or camp director.
Can I arrive early to camp?
Campers are not permitted to arrive early on the first day of camp.  Only staff members who are bring campers and have made prior arrangements will be allowed to unload horses before camp registration.
I will be arriving late to camp, what do I need to do?
All campers arriving late to camp should make prior arrangements with camp director/extension agent for the unloading of their horses and camp registration.  No horse may be unloaded from a trailer or enter the barn area until the extension agent, camp director, or other designated counselor has verified their coggins test. 
What time does camp end?
Camp officially ends after the Camp Horse Show on Saturday.  Arrangements should be made for all campers and their horses to depart by approximately 3:30 p.m.  Campers and their parent/guardian are required to check out at the horse show announcer stand and camp bank before leaving camp.
I have another horse-show on the last day of camp, can I leave early?
Campers may leave early from camp.  Campers leaving early should have a permission slip filled out by their parent/guardian.  All campers must check out with the camp director/extension agent or other designated person prior to leaving camp early.
Who will I be sharing tact stalls with?
Tact stall mates are not determined until camp.  We make every attempt possible to put you with those that you have listed on your camp application or to put you in the same barn.  This is not always possible.
I would like to change tact stall mates?
Due to the lack of barn stalls, barn and tact stalls are assigned based on the camp application where campers identify requested tact stall mates.  It may not always be possible for all tact stall mates to share the same tact stall.  If this is not possible to share a tact stall, we will attempt to put them in the same barn in close proximity.  It is not always possible to arrange large groups (more than four) to share tact stalls. 
Stall assignments are assigned just prior to camp and are subject to change.  Changes can not always be easily accommodated.  Every effort will be made to fully accommodate all requests.
I’ve decided to bring a different horse to camp or I’m not sure which horse I am bringing to camp, how should I feel out my application?
Fill out the camp application with the horse that you are planning on bringing to camp.   
If you change horses prior to the first day of camp, please contact the extension office to report the change.  We will need information on the horse (name, coggins, etc.) and if there is a change in discipline (class).
If you report to camp with a different horse, please contact the camp director/extension agent when you arrive at camp to update your horse information and class information.
I’ve decided not to come to camp, I would like to cancel my reservation and do I get my money back?
Cancellations must be received in writing to the Extension Office.  To receive a full refund, all cancellations must be received by the extension office prior to the date provided on the camp application.  See the cancellation policy in the camp registration packet.
Who do I make check payable to?
Make check payable to: Southern District 4-H Horse Camp
Can my parents/guardian or the owner of the horse check on the horse through out the week?
Parents and/or horse owners needing to check on their horses during the week are permitted in camp during Horse Contact Time (6:00 p.m.–7:30 p.m.) or by prior arrangements with the Camp Director.  All visitors are required to check-in with the camp director/extension agent upon their arrival and are expected to follow the camp rules.
I would like to change tribes?
If you have attended Southern District 4-H Horse Camp before, we encourage you to be loyal to your tribe.  In later year, those loyal tribe members are recognized and are give the responsibility to serve as Chief of their tribe.  However, it is your decision to join another tribe.  The camp director may contact the camper (especially older campers) prior to making this change to ensure that the camper fully understands the decision.
First year campers may select any tribe.
If you change tribes after camp shirts have been order (approximately 2-3 weeks prior to camp), you may not be able to change the color of your shirt.
How should I fill out the question regarding the Vet on Call?
Prior to Horse Camp, we notify a local veterinarian of our camp dates and ask them for their availability during the week.  We have several veterinarians in the Charleston area to we can contact for medical treatment.  We can not guarantee that a specific veterinarian will always be available. 
Prior to contacting any veterinarian, we always attempt to contact the parent/guardian and/or the owner of the horse.  Allowing the horse owner to give us specific instructions on how to handle any medical conditions.
If we are unable to contact the horse owner and the medical condition requires immediate care, we will then contact the veterinarian you have specified on your camp application.  The camper is fully responsible for all veterinarian cost.
Will their be a veterinarian, farrier, or dentist at camp to assist with my horse?
On occassion a veterinarian, farrier, dentist or other horse specialist may be at camp.  If these specialists are at camp and are willing, you may request their services.  The camper is fully responsible for all costs associated with these expenses.